Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Storyhour - Toys


Click here for the complete website on this subject.

Book: Santa Duck by David Milgrim was a fun read. Elliot laughed over the part where Santa Duck sang Jingle Quack. I started the book by bringing out a beautifully wrapped package, opening it, and pulling out a Santa hat like the hat Santa Duck was mysteriously given. 
Song: We did a count down 5-4-3-2-1 and blasted off for the 5 little gingerbread men song.
Book: Where's My T-R-U-C-K by Karen Beaumont. The moms obligingly chorused in on the T-R-U-C-K. Love this rhymey, happy book -- everyone was so concerned for the lost truck.
Book:  Olivia...and the Missing Toy by Ian Falconer.  Our own Olivia not only recognized Olivia Pig but admitted that she too likes to dress beautifully. 
Book:  December 24th by Denys Cazet, read with props for each of the holidays. I think it was at this point that Kiley fell out of her mother's lap; attention began to lag. Maybe change the book order next year -- start w/this longer one first. Knuffle Bunny?
Book: A Creature Was Stirring by Carter Goodrich. I did something I'd never done before for storyhour: I started this book, I read a few pages, then I said, "Hmmm, I wonder what happens next?" recapped what I had read so far, said, "You'll have to read this book later to find out."  I realized there is No Law that says we have to read a book from start to finish! I'm going to begin previewing books a lot more often.


Craft: Pipecleaners cut in two, and an assortment of yellow, red and green beads, along with some small gold ones.  I wanted to give them a variety of sizes and shapes, and even some colored straws to use as spacers, but for the most part they preferred the big, brightly colored beads.  I showed them how to twirl the bottom of a pipecleaner so their beads would stay in place, but pipecleaners are great for beginning bead projects. I also told them I often take my designs apart and do them over, and Olivia did that too.  


Eliot making his selection

Ben, always serious.

Can you believe it?  Two-year-old Kiley is old enough to bead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment