Friday, December 11, 2015

Christmas Storytime




Intro:
I thought pre-k would be way too sophisticated for this short tale.  Wrong! At the end of the story, Max is surrounded by presents, so I segued directly into my skit about the surprise box. 

"What's this?" I open my square green box, pulled out the cylinder, and take out the balloons.  I thought pre-k would be way too sophisticated for the gimmick of balloons flying off into the air as I blew them up and let them go. Wrong!
By Ian Falconer. Does Olivia really help with Christmas? Not really.
Mrs. Claus' Journey:
Santa was exhausted from his long night delivering toys.  "Whew, I can't wait to gt in bed." He was soon snoring.

Downstairs, Mrs. Claus finds an oddly shaped package at the bottom of Santa's sack, addressed to 'BooBoo').

"Here is a present for Boo Boo McBlue!  Oh, no! Now what did Santa do?  Did he FORGET to deliver to Boo?  I'd better take it there myself."

(Mrs. Claus puts on her Santa hat and goes to the barn.  The reindeers are all asleep.)

"Well, I can't take the reindeer.  They're all tired and sleepy. I have to deliver to Boo Boo McBlue and I need to get there fast!   I'll have to take the pick-up truck."
(Have audience join in.)

Pick up truck, pick up truck, go so slow.
Pick up truck, pick up truck, go so fast. 
Pick up truck, pick up truck, STEP ON THE GAS!

Mrs. Claus zooms along until she reaches a big lake.  "I have to deliver to Boo Boo McBlue and I need to get there fast!  In order to cross this big lake, I'd better take a MOTOR BOAT!"

Motor boat, motor boat, go so slow.
Motor boat, motor boat, go so fast.
Motor boat, motor boat, STEP ON THE GAS!

Mrs. Claus zooms across the lake until she reaches the other side, where she finds a giant snowdrift, a pile of snow bigger than a house.  

"I have to deliver to Boo Boo McBlue and I need to get there fast!  In order to cross this giant snowdrift, I'd better take a SNOWMOBILE!"

Snowmobile, snowmobile go so slow.
Snowmobile, snowmobile go so fast. 
Snowmobile, snowmobile, STEP ON THE GAS!

Mrs. Claus zooms over the snowdrift, but just on the other side is a huge mountain!  

"I have to deliver to Boo Boo McBlue and I need to get there fast!  In order to climb to the top of this giant mountain where Boo is, I'll need a HELICOPTER! And I see one handy."

Helicopter, helicopter, go so slow.
Helicopter, helicopter, go so fast.
Helicopter, helicopter, STEP ON THE GAS!

"But Boo Boo McBlue isn't here," say some scientists on top of the mountain. "He's flown to the moon!"

"No wonder poor Santa didn't deliver to Boo Boo McBlue!" said Mrs. Claus. "I'll just have to borrow a rocket ship!"

Rocket ship, rocket ship, go so slow.
Rocket ship, rocket ship, go so fast.
Rocket ship, rocket ship, STEP ON THE GAS!

Boo Boo McBlue loved his present. (Picture of an astronaut opening a teddy bear.)   (by Travis Ann Sherman)

  • Dream Snow by Eric Carle. I tried doing this using puppets for all the animals in the book and laying them out together, then covering them with snow.  Have to remember to put the animals in a covered box and then lay the snow (I used gauze and that worked great) over the box and then over my head, as the farmer.  Maybe next time I should also wear a straw hat as the farmer.  

Cut and Tell:
Children are mesmerized when you start cutting up your props! But I use four triangles and lay one on top of another, removing them as I tell the story.






The Storytime Before Christmas

This poem is a bit much for very young ones at storytime, but this is a gorgeous pop-up,  so arresting I like to save it for the end. There's no need to finish every book we open, after all. We can just give tastes, previews, of some of our favorites. Moore's classic shows up in so many off shoots (Simpsons? Rugrats?) that it's nice to let kids know that it can be found in a book.

I really really love John Burningham's tales, but I have to admit that this story does need a little bit of a boost when I read it. I put the emphasis on all the vehicles that Santa is having to use to get the job done and all the accidents, the "whoopsies" poor Santa sustains.


Trust Jon Agee to find a fresh new twist for the Santa story! Just what was Santa like when he was a kid? Did he like to slide down chimneys (yes!) Make friends with reindeer (yes!) Hit it off with elves (yes!) This is such a cute, fun book, with Agee's bright illustrations. Haven't actually used in storytime though.
Craft: 

Or:
Use up your scraps of green and red, even old wrapping papers, for this craft. The directions are simple: Tell the children to pick out ten strips of paper and line them up big to little. They may need to cut some a bit to get the right sizes. Fringeing and fancy scissors are fun to work with too. Let them finish this part of the project before you give them the glue sticks to glue the strips down into the shape of a Christmas tree. For older children, just give them long strips and let them figure out the sizes to cut! This is a really simple but fun project.

Or: Amazing fact: Not every two year old likes getting paint on their fingers. I brought four colors, had the kids hold up their four fingers, and told them to use a different finger for each color.  That went pretty well.  But still, some of them wanted brushes.

Songs
*5 little gingie men lying on the tray, one jumped up and ran away. Calling catch me catch me, catch me if you can! You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man!
*5 little stars were hanging up. 1 fell off and it crashed POP! (squeeze bubble wrap). Mama called Santa and he went OFF! "No more stars should fall kerplop!"
Jingle Bells
(to the Wheels on the Bus)
Santa in his sleigh goes ho ho ho
reinder fly through the air
snowflakes gently fall
bells ring ring


No comments:

Post a Comment