Friday, August 26, 2011

DINOsaur Storyhour

Stories:
William's Dinosaurs by Alan Baker. Trust Alan Baker to write a simple, beautiful story, thoughtful and imaginative, enjoyed by the older five year olds and the itchy two year olds as well.
Dinosaurs Galore! by Giles Andreae, which I coupled with beautiful flannelboard dinosaurs. I read the rhyme and let children take turns putting up the dinosaurs.
Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp by Carol Diggory Shields. (Big Book) I skipped a few pages, but this book pulled the young ones right out of their seats -- which may or may not have been a totally good thing.
Brontorina by James Howe. This charming story lost the younger ones, but the older ones liked it. I got to use my Russian dance teacher voice for it -- and I think those younger ones needed a drink of water anyway.
Try:  Dear Tyrannosaurus Rex by Lisa McClatchy. 

Dinosaur Songs:
My bad Vachel Lindsay Dinosaur poem:
There was a big green tyrannosaur
Who loved to roar and roar.
He roared at the sky, he roared at the trees.
He roared at the babies, and he roared at me.
He didn't scare the sky, he didn't scare the trees.
He didn't scare the babies, but he sure scared me!!!
We are the Dinosaurs by Laurie Berkner.  I passed out our rhythm eggs and we marched around to the music.
Large & Small -- because dinosaurs are large and small! But I used the word "mammoth" for huge. The English language is a rich and wonderful source for synonyms
Dino Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do "sung to "Do wah Diddy Diddy" using T-Rex puppet
Here he comes, just a stomping with his feet,
Singing "Dino ditty, ditty dum ditty do."
Searching all around for something good to eat,
Singing "Dino ditty, ditty dum ditty do."
He's huge (he's huge). He's strong (he's strong).
He's huge, he's strong, won't be hungry very long.
Dino ditty, ditty dum ditty do...

Craft:
I downloaded a stegosaurus template from http://ysostorytime.pbworks.com/f/Dinosaur.bmp and printed it out on the bottom half of a sheet of card stock. Then I folded the sheet over and cut it out, leaving it attached at the top fold so that I made a little stegosaurus critter that could stand up.  (I would have let older children cut their own out.) I showed the kids how defenseless these poor stegies were. No spikes. So they attached spikes to the tops of them with glue sticks, choosing their own colors, always an interesting process, and then they decorated their stegies. We don't know, stegies might have had purple flowers on their scales. Stamping them would have been fun too.
Cole's stegosaurus is fearless around the T-rex.
 
Next year:  Too Many Dinosaurs by Mercer Mayer. Gorgonzola by Margie Palatini

No comments:

Post a Comment