Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Movement Storyhour, Dance Storyhour

Books: 

Oh, No, George by Chris Haughton. I am so in love with Haughton's Little Owl Lost that I grabbed this book as it came in this morning & decided not to wait for the "appropriately themed" storyhour to share it.  Sooooo cute! Poor George means to be a good dog, but that cake... that dirt... that cat. How is George to resist? Well, he doesn't. There's plenty of George in all of us.
 Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae. I don't know why this book always falls a bit short of being a crowd pleaser.  Maybe my Madeira Beach crowd is too young or too familiar with the "everyone's different but everyone can dance" theme.



Spunky Little Monkey  Bill Martin



Bounce by Doreen Cronin. We got up and bounced around with this book.

Dinosaurumpus by Tony Mitton. This book has a nice rhythm to it so with just a little prodding, the moms all clapped along. But, truth be told, my preference would have been Dinosaur Stomp, but I neglected to order the Big Book copy from PPLC in time.

Duck & Goose by Tad Hills. Board Book.  Let's Dance!

Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle. We read this in honor of Father's Day this weekend, and of course, it's a great book. The kids were fidgety at first, but as I made a big deal of turning the translucent pages, they started listening up. I was careful to build on the concept of where each daddy fish was stashing his eggs. 'Would you like it if your dad carried you around IN HIS MOUTH!' and they were all listening by the end. Thanks Eric Carle, for writing intelligent books for kids!

Songs:
Hmmmm, what am I doing wrong with this bunch? All they ever want to sing is Motor Boat.  

Crafts: We decorated these swell D A D cards from Oriental Trading with words pasted on one side (DAD, I love you!, You're the greatest! etc.) and the other side we decorated with -- drum roll, please, matchbox cards rolled in poster paint. It was very fun!


Oliver and Carson aren't arguing over that police truck! They're the best of friends!

Brody, nominated for the cuteness award

I really appreciate Tim coming to this story hour, to keep his little sister company and show the other younger children how to behave. Tim, you're a big help! Hope you like Captain Underpants and www.reading-rewards.com!

As usual, like a fool, I didn't take a good picture of the final works. You'll have to take my word for it -- the effect was really cool and the moms of the boys liked it especially.
Check me out at 


for more ideas like this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment