Friday, January 27, 2017

Pre-K Number Storytime, Friday, January 30 @ 10:30




I always start this storytime by counting US! 

The math skills three year olds need to be working on are not number problems but shapes, sorting, and counting to five. 
The math skills three year olds need to be working on are not number problems but shapes, sorting and counting to five.

Books
  • Pete the Cat and the Missing Cupcakes by Kimberly and James Dean. Monica made me a set of beautiful cupcakes, and this was a great read with those props.  (Cupcakes are in Food folder in file cabinet)
  • This Little Piggy by Tim Harrington.  Love this version.
  • Cat up a Tree by John and Ann Hassett.  Too funny, and you can do voices. 
  • Didn't Get to: One by Kathryn Otoshi is the book I usually use, (Colors, numbers, and a great lesson about standing up to a bully make this a classic must-read in my book. The moms really love the ending of this one. So do I.) But this year I'm going for her Zero. It may be the only picture book I know that talks about zeros and placeholding, but is fun and appealing.  I'm going to make pipe cleaner numbers so I  can twist them around. Wish me luck.
  • Big Fat Hen by Kevin Baker. The moms know all the words and you can clap to it!
  • Didn't Get to: 10 Little Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle.  We've all read them ad infinitum. 5 monkeys jumping on the bed, ten bears rolling off the bed, etc. etc.  But this is Eric Carle.  Animals AND a sea voyage AND rubber ducks.
  • Ten Little Mermaids board book TEN. Just got a new copy with the mermaids' glitter not yet picked off and the pop-up fresh, so I had to share.
  • Ten Little Fish by Woods. 
  • Pete the Cat and the Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin.  Even when he loses his beautiful buttons, Pete's OK, cuz he'll always have his... BELLY BUTTON! Kids loooved the ending of this. Pete the Cat is the three year old's zen master.
  • Telling Time with the Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle.  Farm animals + telling time +  a spider web tell and draw that even I can tell and draw. While the spider spins so busily in the story, I draw the web on my chalkboard using a piece of chalk concealed on the belly of my very large spider so it looked (I hope) as if the spider really was spinning a web. I even had a hapless fly fingerpuppet land in the middle of the web and be eaten.
Songs
    • One potato, two potato, three potato four (clapping song) We started with this to set the mood.
    • Down at the corner of the bakery shop... Had to use this after Pete the Cat!  The kids came & got them -- I called on two at a time when they were buddies.  When finished, I explained these were special MAGNETIC cupcakes and asked them to come and stick them back on the magnet board -- which was as much fun as a pretend bakery.
    • 5 little monkeys.  We know these are bad monkeys, I said. Are they teasing Mr. Crocodile today or jumping on the bed? The vote was on bed jumping.
    • 5 bears in the bed and the little one said, "Roll over"
    • Zoom, Zoom Zoom, we're going to the moon
    • 6 little ducks went out one day, etc.
    • Over in the Meadow
    • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Once I caught a fish alive.

    Show me a one!
    One, two three! WHEE by Eric Litwin
    1, 2, 3 WHEE! (5)
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    1, 2, 3 JUMP! (5)
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    1, 2, 3 SHAKE! (5)
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    1, 2, 3 TWIST! (5)
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    1, 2, 3 WHEE! (5)

    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

    Craft

    No comments:

    Post a Comment